Monday, August 07, 2006

Hello from Toledo!

Hey everybody,

How are you guys? I miss you all and the academy so much, although Cat's pictures brought back some good memories from that last night at the Sports Page. ;)
Sorry I haven't been in touch lately, things have been insane. The big news is that I got the job at Root Learning as a junior concept artist, but I only had about two weeks to find an apartment, move out of my place in Columbus and set up house in Toledo. Thank god for Adam Levene who came to help pack up the van in Columbus. It's hard to believe that I left Columbus a week ago and only got into my apartment Tuesday morning. I actually unpacked the last box this morning and now have a fully functional studio so I can get back to making art. I've also found a few coffee shops and book stores where I've been working in my sketchbook during my breaks from packing. So, things are going well. I start work on Tuesday, so I'm really nervous and excited, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sorry if this seems a bit flighty and short, but I'm still a bit disoriented from the speed of the move. Hopefully I'll get some scans of my sketches up soon. Take care, I'll be in touch.

Erika

9 Comments:

Blogger Tyler said...

That's awesome Erika! I'm jealous of you all that are working as artists. I'm still packing and have almost a week left at my work. I'm giving away a ton of my beloved history and philosophy books (though I'm keeping my favorites) so that Megan and I will have less clutter at our new place. But it's hard to get rid of books....they are old friends.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

i hate getting rid of books too. It pains me! Erika, congrats, it will be a good experience for you!

I too am just settling into my new LA apartment and I'm trying to get a waitressing job, although it's tempting to apply for graphic design jobs which would pay a LOT more. But I'll just get sucked into the same routine I did before so i'm just trying to be a starving artist for now. I'll post when something exciting happens :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Erika Steiskal said...

I'll post how my first day goes, I'm sooooo nervous. My dad called me this morning at 9:00 and I thought it was the office calling to say that I was supposed to start today and where the hell was I?! What can I say, I'm a bit jumpy.

I know what you guys mean about getting rid of books, I gave a couple away to friends and donated a few for a garage sale, but I still have most of my collection. Dad was grumbling about all my books and how they weighed more than all my other stuff combined. ;) What are you going to do, we're all bibliophiles.

12:32 PM  
Blogger h_camp said...

congrats on the job! everyone sounds like they're doing so well.
yay!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Heather Heckel said...

congratulations Erika! I know how stressful a quick move can be. I also like holding onto books, which explains why I buy them instead of get them out of the library. Good luck with your first day at work!! You'll do great

8:02 AM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

I hope the first day of work went well! Did your friend you went to school with end up getting a job there too?? Are the people you work with nice?

7:15 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

yes Erika share some stories. I can't wait to hear about it!

1:31 PM  
Blogger drawatron said...

congrats. man that sounds awesome. i applied for a production artist job out here so well see. let us know how things are going and let us see the work.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Erika Steiskal said...

I can't send actual work from my job since part of my contract was a confidenciality agreement. I could be fired if Root ever found out I posted images of their work. You can see some of the safe stuff on their website at www.rootlearning.com.
You guys will have to be satisfied with my personal pieces I guess. Hope that suffices.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home