Tuesday, August 08, 2006

stupid question

Hey dudes. First of all, this blog is really taking off and I love it. I can't believe I doubted it. It is a really great place for a small group of us to post stupid questions like the following:

I am trying to set up lighting in my little studio, but it seems that no matter what I do, there is a reflection off the surface of my paint. Do I just need to keep the lights far away but bright? Would multiple lights from different angles help somehow? Maybe I should just stick to painting in the daylight, my studio gets AWESOME sunlight all day long, I'm very fortunate!

Here is the original critique version of Thom York, on my easel, with the glare.



I'm going to try to fix Thom Yorke's neck. I just keep hearing Sterling's voice... "I hate skinny necks like that." ouch that hurt!

Are you guys going to fix any old projects or are you looking to create new ones? I thought we could have a once a week or once every 2 week assignment (obviously not mandatory) that I could post up here on the blog. There was talk of people chosing alphabet pieces to work on, that's 26 illustration projects as it is! Or we could all chose to participate in Illustration Friday (see the link over to the right). What do you all think?

Oh and pick up the August Issue of HOW - it's a special issue devoted to Illustration. The best article (and cover story) is how journaling is such a great thing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather Heckel said...

Did Sterling and Andrea's handout have instructions and a diagram of how to light the studio? Also, to make professional copies of photographs you have to use a copy stand to avoid glare. The copy stand is a flat surface with two lights aimed at it from either side but set at 45 degree angles: http://web.utk.edu/~isc/services/copy_stand.html
the link is a diagram of it. I have noo idea if this will work for paintings, but it might.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Starbuck said...

I found this awhile ago but never tried it. ---->"For paintings in which shiny surfaces are too evident, you can place polarizing gels in front of the lights (not too close or they’ll burn). Orient them so that the polarity is vertical, then turn the filter on your camera so the polarity is horizontal, and voila, a pretty hefty reduction in glare."
Quoted from----> http://www.sheldondrake.com/Photo_Art.html

4:47 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

Are you trying to light your workspace just for working or lighting for photographing your work? In the case of the former, I have two lamps and I move them around and I move my board around to keep the glare off the space I'm working on... sometimes I move myself around. It's weird and annoying. Another way is to work with nonreflective mediums, non? I think I've heard about an artist installing flourescent lighting in hanging fixtures above the table.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

I don't know what I would do without you guys, you have been very helpful. I ended up working on my painting during the day, still had a small glare, I think it is just because I am painting with my stupid acrylics. Maybe I should use the matte medium with them. Now I need to photograph the painting, so I will be able to use all of your suggestions for that. You all rock. Thank you!

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home