Monday, August 21, 2006

to yorke or not to yorke


here is the Thom Yorke painting after a little bit of work. I scanned it in pieces and did the Photomerge thing, which worked pretty well. The only thing that didn't work is the light from the scanner reflecting off the stupid acrylic paint. The image above doesn't look exactly the same as the actual piece, but it also doesn't look insanely different. My question is whether or not you guys think I should include it on my website. It's pretty different from my other pieces.

Also, speaking of scanners, I have some advice: Buy them at Best Buy and spend 10 bucks on the 2 year warranty they offer. Even if you lose the piece of paper with the warranty info, they have it stored in their computers under your phone number or the credit card you bought the scanner with. Within 2 years you can bring in your scanner (no box or software or anything) and you can exchange it for a brand new scanner. My old scanner, purchased a year and a half ago, broke during the move so I just unplugged it and dragged it in, got 100 bucks for it and bought a scanner that was 99 (Epson 3490 Photo) - then bought another 2 year warranty for 10 bucks. So basically I got a brand new scanner for 10 bucks. I don't think you get full price for the old scanner, cause i think I spent 120 bucks on it when I got it, but still, not too shabby considering I had the thing so long.

but back to my post topic... what should I do with this Thom Yorke painting from hell? Be honest :)

3 Comments:

Blogger drawatron said...

i get the sense that you are having trouble with this piece. i am glad that you are continuing to push it and try to nail it. i would say keep cranking on it. as far as putting it on your website, if you have any reservations about it then i would say dont put it up there. your portfolio is only as strong as your weakest piece so if you have any doibts whatsoever that leave it off. maybe take a step back from the piece for now and work on something new. it will be good for you to get fresh eyes on this piece.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

I think it's a good piece, I like that you added the beard on him, it looks even more like Thom Yorke! Did you enjoy doing this piece?? Did you like the style it turned out being in? It sounds like it was frustrating you a little. I just remember Andrea saying that she included her super-realistic Babe Ruth image in her portfolio, and got people who wanted her to only work in that style....even though it wasn't one that she particulary liked to work in. So maybe if you didn't like the process, you wouldn't want to include it on your website. I hope that made sense.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

thanks for the responses dudes. I think I'm going to set this piece aside. If i end up doing more work like it then maybe i'll bring it out of the closet, but for now I'm going to focus on other things.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home