Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Ice Cream

I have to admit I have been procrastinating on this project. Here is my thumbnail for the Young'ns project. It is set at the ice cream store in Silver Bay, my family vacation spot for my whole life, where I had spent 2 weeks post Academy. I took a whole bunch of pictures of these kids eating ice cream on the porch at sunset. I asked the parent's permission to photograph them and one of the girls was super shy and kept trying to hide from the camera. So my problem is that my reference isn't very good, and I don't know of any children that I can use.

This sketch isn't very developed yet - I need to look at it like we did the last project; just flat shapes of value, and then design from there.

how is everyone else doing?

update 9/15/06 - more developed sketch:

5 Comments:

Blogger drawatron said...

reference has been a problem for me as well, so i am just hitting the anatomy books, my piece is mainly going to deal with the proportions. i think your idea is great, and i would love to see more cersions of this.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

I think this looks like it could be really cool. I love the huddled group of three. I like all the different directions of their legs! Those will be fun to play with shapes!
I have had a really hard time with mine so far. I've started over 3 different times on full ideas, because I wasn't able to get a good reference. I think that's the reason why people say kids are hard to draw....I think it's just because they won't hold still for a camera.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

I'll get out my anatomy book too. One of the kids is holding a cup of ice cream and I wish she had an ice cream cone - do you think I could just pose myself with an ice cream cone (mmm..... reference....) and then just fatten up the fingers, or make them shorter? Can you substitute adults for children for things like that? I have developed this sketch more and it's way better, I'll post it in a bit.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Erika Steiskal said...

I love the composition of the piece and the image of kids eating ice cream. I can't wait to see it. When it comes to children's hands, they have have shorter fingers and are a bit pudgier than those of adults. I had a friend who helped animate Lilo and Stitch and he said the hands were the hardest things to keep child-like. He said that the proportions were 70% palm and 30% fingers. I hope this helps. You can take photos of adults to help with some of the anatomy issues but you may need to find some pictures of kids in similar poses to nail the anatomy. Good luck, hun; I'm sure it's going to be great! ;)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

Hey cat, the lighting on the updated sketch is fabulous!

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home