Monday, September 18, 2006

Stuff


So I am most likely not going to make the deadline this time, sorry, but this is what I've got so far. I've been doing lots of research and spending lots of time at the library, and they have tons of illustrated books on "famous people in history" for kids, and most of them are white men (no offense to all the lovely men in our lives :) . Kids need female role models too. I looked all over to find a famous women in history book and found nothing for kids, so I decided I'd work on my own book. The children's illustration society says it's good to make a book dummy with a few fully completed illustrations to show publishing houses that you can do that, so that's what I'm working on. I'm really really excited about it.
This is the first one, Sacagawea, the famous Native American woman who traveled across the country with Lewis and Clark as a guide, translator, and symbol of peace to other tribes....she did all this after just having had a baby, which she carried with her in a papoose across the whole country. She is super cool. So this is like a two-page layout. The left side will be all very bold, then the right will fade away into a landscape of the Rockies, where her name and a short biography will be.
Sorry this is so long, Please please let me know what you think about the sketch and the book as a whole! Miss you guys!
P.S. I went to Austin City Limits Music Festival all weekend and it was rocking! I saw MUSE cat! They were great, and I saw the Flaming Lips and Cat Power and lots of fun people I want to do portraits of later!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cat Scott said...

Sarah that is SUCH A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you! Don't worry about the deadline, we are slack about that here at Vuinnardenkornlish. I say that because I didn't finish mine either - I didn't get to go to ACL (I'm so jealous) but I had friends from where I used to live come down to LA and we went to a Dodger's game and just loafed around all weekend.

Sarah, I can't wait to see your finish. As far as the sketch, you have another sort of awkard tangent with th emountains and her hair, maybe you could make the mountains tall on the right side and shorter on the left side, so there is more of an intersect. Or you could enlarge her so she fills the frame a bit more and she overlaps the mountains.

I like how you have her hair turning into the river/path. It would be cool if you could make her hair swoop onto the second page a little bit more dynamically and still maintain the flow. I LOVE IT. I love the idea, that is SUCH a good idea.

By the way - we need the next assignment. Anybody have any ideas?

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

Thanks for the encouragement and the good advice lady! :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Strong woman. I love it! I love the hand and ( I know this may sound funny..)but I really like Sacagawea's nose, I'm not sure what she looked like but bringing out details with the tiniest curve of the nose can really identify someone.I know you may paint the illustration and this is just a sketch, but I see the tape (and I think it may just be me and loving collage), but if you want, maybe to bring out the blanket around her and the baby--- try to collage masking tape? over and under the painting ( acrylic?) while painting it... Maybe even in the process peel some of the tape off and paint over and vice versa... Cool things may happen. I have seen collage in "select areas" make the other parts of the painting really stand out...

Good idea on the book illustrations..

Believe it or not, I am going to try to post some pen and inks i had done recently, so wish me luck... I have never posted anything before, is it easy? I know it seems like i have been slack, but the whole job thing has been really hard on me and time consuming and managing, ughhh!

Okay I rememember this is a posting, sorry its so long!

That music festival sounds AWESOME!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Heather Heckel said...

it is really a great idea sarah!!! i cant wait to see this finished, and what other women you choose to illustrate.

11:30 PM  
Blogger drawatron said...

i can think of a better person than MS. FOX to pull this kinda thing off. keep it up. you have got that personal voice thing down and that is always going to make your work stronger. cant wait to see it homegirl.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home