Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Crankin'


Well..... I finally got my studio space set up and I thought the conceptual self-portrait assignment would be a good idea for a way to regain some momentum..... less research needed. This is only "sketch" and with some feedback I'm going get started on the final drawing. I already see some areas I'd like to tweak. I was inspired by Sterling's work with cardboard and my new Toulouse-Lautrec book showing his work on cardboard and that sort of validated that material for me. And with all this moving, I'm surrounded by it.....free, easy, and cheap. Hopefully, I can put up a final soon. I had some other composition ideas, too. Maybe I'll post those as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cat Scott said...

yeah, tyler that is pretty bad ass as is!!! I REALLY like it! What else were you planning on doing to it?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

hey ty- good to see you on here!

so.. .really nice illustration. I really like the texture of the card board and the soft loose application of the paint, pastel, mixed media....

Composition wise...I was wondering... what do you want the viewer to focus on? -the face, the space, the suit or the box? My amatuer advice -you could take or leave is this...-with color, or with shape -focus on the part of the piece that you want to stand out the most.

I do like the sketch you just posted too.. on the bottom right, too...

9:42 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

Thanks for all the feedback!

I used a marker, a tech pen, and colored inks.

I want the focus to be on the head. I think I would need to knock back the rest so that the lines in the space suit aren't too heavy. And I want to tighten up the drawing and details.... maybe add more interesting details. I also need to actually work from a photo of myself or something so that I can go for a likeness.

I like the backpack thing. And I really like the looseness of the whole thing and the background.

I might use the composition of the lower-right thumbnail.

10:08 PM  
Blogger drawatron said...

i do like the textures as well, but for being a portrait i feel the face needs a bit more attention, also im not sure who it is but thats my fault for not being up on the news.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Tyler said...

I guess "free" and "cheap" is kind of redundant. Anyway, I'm digging the cardboard.

So... I'm working on the final drawing for it and I really suck at drawing me. I'm going with the other composition.... the three-quarter angle.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

Hey Tyler, I really love the technique! It looks awesome. I agree with Chris about focusing on the face. Self-portraits are hard to do, when I do them they never look like me when I'm done. :)

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home