Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Here is some of the stuff I have been up to....

Marathon man, commissioned by a Team In Training friend for her boyfriend who is a coach. She gave it to him for Christmas.



My second editorial assignment for Louisville Magazine for an article about how you can include your mom and mom-to-be in your wedding planning.



This is one of my school assignments for my color theory class, which is over and I got an A! Yay!



In other news, I am sick of being a poor starving artist so I am applying for "real jobs" around town. It's gotten to the point that I'm working 40+ hours a week at my 2 part time jobs to try to make ends meet, but it just isn't cutting it. I just have to realize that I will have to be extra tenacious about working at night and on the weekends. Plus, I'm taking 2 classes next semester so that will keep me arting too.

Note the new assignment... I hope to see a lot of people do it, myself included :) What have you all been up to? Sarah, how did your ornaments turn out? Chris, any word with the Burbank job? I miss all of you and hopefully I'll see you in New York in a few months!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Fox said...

Hey cat! They all look great. I really love all of the figures in the wedding one. You did a really good job on all their faces, and nice composition. The color assignment is really subtle for a complimentary color painting. Very pretty. John and Brent would be proud of the color use and the landscape!
You sound like you're going to have a busy new year. Let me know how everything goes.
P.S. The ornaments turned out well....but that's the last time I do x-mas presents in oil paint. I was working on them the very last minute...and my whole family said they were getting a buzz off my presents (from all the fumes). Sorry I didn't take pics...I couldn't get them in time.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

thats funny sarah. I bet the ornaments were beautiful!

Cat- I love the color assignment, its so beautiful! And i agree the expressions on the women's faces are great.

I miss you guys and I hope NYC works out for me. I have a very busy month ahead of me as well.

Great work Cat. Glad you are getting some real world assignments, keep with it. They are really great. They are sending you the magazine after its printed, right? How does the color reproduce? Is it close to the true color of your assignments?

8:10 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

I really dig the color exercise...it's beautiful. I also really like how the woman on the far right is drawn in the bridal piece....and her value.... and I like the flatness of the clothing of the woman on the left. Great stuff!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

Thanks for the comments on the pieces. I like some of the stuff going on in the runner man piece, it's probalby hard to tell in the posted image but there's some cool textural stuff I got going on in there. Not my best work cause i half assed the drawing but I had fun and experimented with some new techniques.

I got a nice, long, in depth critique from Robin Eley on the bridal ilustration, he seems to agree that the woman on the right is the best. THe other women got a little cartoony. I am still in between phases... all my old stuff was pretty caricature-y and cartoony, I'm trying to be a little bit more mature now.

Kim, to answer your questions about the magazine, they are a really low budget small magazine so they don't send me copies. But everyone my mom sends me her copies when she is done with them. The color turns out pretty well - on my first one they cropped it pretty bad but it still turned out okay. At this point I'm just happy to be getting work, who am I to complain?

Phew... I need to go to bed. It was a long night at Pf chang's tonight...

p.s. My Marathon is one week from Sunday. I'm so excited!
p.p.s Did I mention that I got a second job at the Apple store by my house? It is pretty cool.
p.p.p.s I'm really going to bed now.

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home