Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Some Flowers


I finished these a while ago, but am just now getting to post them here. I decided to do some flowers because I'm applying to a show at the Dallas arboretum. Plus I get to paint more quickly and thickly which is fun. The gladiola one is about 4 feet tall, the tulip only about 2 feet tall.
I feel like so much has happened just since I got back from NY. I've paid to get professional scans of all of my shadow-boxes (mucho dinero :( . I got my first giclee print (from one of the scans) from the blue lady with the sunflower and it turned out great! I was so relieved the 3-dimensions translated well to a flat print. I've taken slides of all my work, and just sent off my first art festival application, which made me have a panic-attack sort of thing that required lots of chocolate to calm down from. And I've started a new piece. It's so exciting to get all this stuff rolling, but it's incredibly nerve-racking to be investing so much time and money into something I'm not sure will happen...I hope i hope...but nothing is certain. I find out in May if I got into that first show (I'm applying to 3 this season), so wish me luck.
On the new painting I'm starting I'm going to take pictures along the way and post them on my blog: sarahfoxart.blogspot.com Because when people where asking me how I did these, I think I did a really crappy job of explaining it, so hopefully pics. will do better.

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather Heckel said...

Good luck with the shows Sarah! That's great they translated to 2D. I especially like the gladiola :)

11:34 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

Remember the story Natalie Ascencios told at the Academy? How she knew Illustration is what she wanted to do so she moved to New York, went into debt making her portfolio, and just WENT for it? That's what you are doing and I think you are talented and passionate and won't have trouble getting into the show or selling your stuff. Especially since you have already sold one....I WANT THE GLADIOLA. DIBS!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Erika Steiskal said...

Darn it, I wanted the Gladiola piece, maybe that should be your next giclee print since it appears to have several interested buyers.
You are so inspiring, Sarah, I love all your pieces and watching you go out there and being successful as an artist. Before we know it, you'll have sold out gallery shows and Sarah Fox groupies. :)

6:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

I had no idea the gladiola would be such a hit. I got the composition from an early Klimt painting (but he put a person where the flower is). If you guys seriously want to buy the original or a large giclee let me know :) (e-mail or call) and we'll work out price stuff. (I'll give ya'll the art friend discount).
I had forgotten that Natalie Ascencios had said that. It actually makes me feel a lot better. I love her work.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

Or ( I just thought of this), i could do another gladiola...maybe a different color...there are some really pretty yellow or white ones at the florist now. Okay I'll stop posting now :)

6:52 PM  
Blogger drawatron said...

be sure to keep up the hard work miss thang. your stuff is looking great and i am blown away by the craftsmanship. they would be a fool to not not let you in the shows so dont worry just keep doing what you are doing and good luck

10:17 AM  
Blogger Tyler said...

That's way rad! Maybe you could show us a photo of the giclee print so we can see how totally awesome it is.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Im happy for you Sarah, it sounds like your art is really taking off for you. ( and you are doing all of the hard work to get it out there too!) yOU should be very proud of what you do!) I think it is all really beautiful too, your work has a very personal touch, figurative quality- deep-, even in your flowers-the life of your work really reaches the viewer, maybe its the dimensional technique or the paint application... really cool.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

Now that I make the big bucks I want to buy your original gladiola, but if you want to save it to put it in your shows this summer that's okay. It will make you look like a hot shot if you can put a red sticker on it that says "SOLD." Besides I won't be able to afford it until summer. I'll call you to discuss this business.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home