Monday, April 23, 2007

Mutey the mailman


I am finally doing an assignment! Woo hoo! I'm going to do a portrait of Dwight Schrute from the Office. Since my time is so limited I am trying to keep it simple and I'm going to just do a straightforward portrait - no concept or anything. I'm not very good at the concept stuff... Meganck never gave us his brain strengthening tips :)

Anyway, the other day I sat down with a photo and sketched this in my sketchbook just to sort of study his features and stuff. I liked the way it turned out - I have gotten a lot better at drawing with pen... although I'm still not the best pen & inker out there.

I'll post a sketch when I get it worked out; I hope to have something nailed down by the end of the week, then I'll have the weekend for the finish! Hooray for productivity!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Fox said...

Wow! It looks just like him!!! Great job on the sketch. Even got the strange way his hair curls in the front. I really love the way you pen and ink sketch, love all the cross-hatching. Is this the sketch you are going to turn into a final piece, or was this just a sketch to figure out features and such?

6:23 PM  
Blogger Cat Scott said...

Sarah, thanks for the kind words! I like cross hatching, it's therapeutic. I think I might get some pen & ink drawings to copy and study - any artists you all recommend I should look at?

this is just a sketch from the photo. So it isn't photo realistic nor is it exaggerated or stylized at all. And definitely not composed at all. It's just the way it ended up on the page as I drew.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

Yea, Dwight! I want to join the Dwight Army of Champions!

I'm also doing something for The Office.

I don't know many pen&ink artists but I did see a good book of Heinrich Kley ink drawings.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

That's funny you're doing a piece on The Office too Tyler! I love that show...I think my favorite episode is the one where Micheal burns his foot on the George Forman grill :)

As for artists to look at for pen and ink drawing, specifically people who cross-hatch, I think you should look at Van Gogh's drawings and prints. He's a great example of someone's whose cross-hatching and line work creates pattern and rhythm in the piece. Michaelangelo's drawings are great to look at because he uses his cross-hatching to really shape each object and the spaces around them. If you look really closely at his paintings, they are all made with cross-hatched paint strokes.
I can't wait to see your finished piece!!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home