Thursday, August 23, 2007

Portrait Commission

Okay so this is the final sketch for the portrait commission I've been working on. It's a little messy from all the cutting and pasting, etc...yay tracing paper! This is the sister of the woman who commissioned the portrait. She passed away, so they wanted this to be a really peaceful, spiritual portrait, and they had liked an angel painting I did a while ago. So we decided to have a bird flying out of her hand and a sky as the background.
Please let me know what you think, and how I can make it better. I really want this to be a special portrait for them.
Thanks guys!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tyler said...

I think it looks great and the hands look well done.

I think the bird ought to repositioned, though. The wing tip kissing the edge gives it too much tension and I think if you move the bird to the right more and have the wing going off the page a bit, then it would create a better sense of movement and make it a more interesting picture.

I think you're ready for value studies.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Sarah Fox said...

I hadn't thought about putting the bird off the page! Thats a good idea!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

It's been awhile, so if its too late, Im sure the painting is beautiful.

What kind of bird is it? It looks a little like a dove- which would be a great symbol of peace. And spirit. During a walk I did with my mom for cancer- they released all these doves at the end. It was beautiful how they all flew up in the sky.

Here's an idea that may or may not be of interest.....Could the bird being holding something in its mouth? Maybe instead of an olive leaf, maybe a flower ( her favorite flower?) or something beautiful from nature would be neat

Hope you are doing good- When should I come visit and see some good music? :)

-- as always nice hands!

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home