Thursday, November 08, 2007

it's been a while

Hello my friends,

the activity on this blog has certainly died down. I have been posting my own stuff on my little blog so I have neglected this one. I have been working on a few things that I thought I would share:

First of all, I have started an ambitious project called 99 Paintings of Beer on the Wall. I have been wanting to learn oil painting for a long, long time, so I thought I should just pick a subject matter and go with it. I chose beer! I love beer and I always find them interesting - bottle shapes, beer color, labels, bottle caps, the light shining through the beer.... Plus, I'm not gonna lie, people wouldn't mind owning a painting of a beer they like so they are marketable. Unfortunately, this also means that I am making the paintings themselves rather large, so they are taking a long time to do! Here's one I did for my brother. I haven't figured out how to photograph them so all I have is shitty scans, I swear this one looks pretty darned good in real life:


I also completed a cool piece for a company called Terressentials. This was supposed to go on their shampoo bottles, but they put a halt on the label redesign project so I'm not sure if it's going to be used. It was still a fun project and I like the way it turned out:


And finally, another illustration for Louisville Magazine. This was for an article that dealt with how boys and girls learn differently and how some public schools might switch to same sex classrooms.



I am also working on an illustration for Realms of Fantasy magazine, but it will be a while before I can post it. I am enjoying the illustration work, but I'm also enjoying learning new things and experimenting. I still think that learning to keep a sketchbook is the most valuable thing I learned at the Illustration Academy.

So what has everyone else been getting into? The Society of Illustrators show is in Febrary - see Erika's post below - but I don't think i am going to be able to get to New York this year. My cousin's getting married in Louisville 2 weeks after the Gala in New York and I just can't swing both trips. Such a bummer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home